Alcoholic liver disease: Symptoms, treatment, and causes

According to the CDC, moderate drinking is defined as having two standard drinks or less per day for men and one drink or less per day for women. Robert is our health care professional reviewer of this website. He has a nursing and business/technology degrees does alcohol cause bruising from The Johns Hopkins University. Acute alcoholic myopathy can cause swelling, weakness, tenderness, and pain in the affected muscles. The following sections provide answers to frequently asked questions about alcohol and its effects on the body.

In fact, it’s estimated that up to 90 percent of people who drink heavily have some form of this condition. Alcohol-related abnormalities in RBC production manifest themselves not only in the bone marrow but also through the presence of defective RBC’s in the blood. As a result, alcoholics frequently are diagnosed with anemia (figure 1).


If a person drinks alcohol regularly, the short-term effects, such as dry skin and flushing, are more likely to become a persistent problem. Although drinking alcohol can cause a person to fall asleep faster, it may cause them to wake up more often during the night. Because of this, drinking alcohol can cause dehydration, which may affect a person’s skin. Alcohol is one of several substances that can damage your liver. Excessive alcohol consumption can cause fat to build up in your liver. This can lead to inflammation and an increase in scar tissue, which can seriously impact your liver’s ability to function as it should.

  • Blood cells make up about 45 percent of the blood volume; the remaining 55 percent consists of a watery liquid called plasma.
  • An assessment of alcohol use will establish when alcohol consumption started, how much a person drinks, and how often.
  • CDT is one of the newest—and perhaps the most promising—of the hematological state markers.
  • When a blood vessel is injured, platelets are attracted to the site of the injury, where they aggregate to form a temporary plug.
  • The precise mechanism underlying vacuole development in blood cell precursors currently is unknown.

Alcoholic fatty liver disease appears early on as fat deposits accumulate in the liver. People who consume four to five standard drinks per day over decades can develop fatty liver disease. The liver is responsible for metabolizing or processing ethanol, the main component of alcohol. Over time, the liver of a person who drinks heavily can become damaged and cause alcoholic liver disease.

This Is Why You Tend To Wake Up With Bruises After A Night Of Drinking

If you develop alcoholic hepatitis, you may be able to reverse the damage by permanently abstaining from alcohol. Treatment also involves dietary changes and medications to reduce inflammation. In mild alcoholic hepatitis, liver damage occurs slowly over the course of many years. The early stages of alcohol-related liver disease often have no symptoms.

When you drink, different enzymes in your liver work to break down alcohol so that it can be removed from your body. Spur cells are distorted RBC’s that are characterized by spikelike protrusions of their cell membrane (figure 2). These spurs are caused by the incorporation of excess amounts of cholesterol into the cell membrane, resulting in an increase of the cell’s surface area without a corresponding increase in cell volume. Modestly elevated membrane cholesterol levels result in a flattened RBC shape, whereas larger increments of cholesterol cause the membrane to be thrown up into spikes. Anyone who notices they are bruising more often or more easily than usual should seek medical advice to rule out other health issues or seek treatment as appropriate. A person should seek emergency help if a large bruise develops after a trauma, especially if they also have lightheadedness or dizziness.

Leave a Comment

Your email address will not be published. Required fields are marked *

Scroll to Top